False Ceiling – Complete Guide
False Ceiling also called Suspended or dropped ceilings, have slowly but surely made their way into urban homes and are here to stay. In this article, we discuss with you what is a false ceiling, some checklist points before installation and how it installs, the pros and cons, some design tips, and price.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a false ceiling?
- 2 Why do we need a false ceiling?
- 3 How is a false ceiling installed?
- 4 Advantages and disadvantages of false ceiling
- 5 Some tips and ideas for choosing a false ceiling design:
- 6 False ceiling Price:
- 7 FAQ:
- 8 Final Thoughts:
What is a false ceiling?
A false ceiling is a fixed ceiling that is suspended under the original roof of a room or house. It is usually suspended by wooden or metal frame and this illusion is of low ceilings, sometimes with parts of the original roof on display.
These are usually set at a minimum of 6 to 8 inches from the original ceiling. They are versatile enough to be built in homes of any size – it’s about being smart with all sizes and available space.
These ceilings are prepared from a wide range of materials such as POP (Plaster of Paris), gypsum board, asbestos sheet, particle board, aluminum panel, wood, etc.
Why do we need a false ceiling?
The design of the false ceiling helps in choosing the entire style of the place. But the question is whether a false ceiling is only used to increase the visual significance of a house or does it also have a purposeful role? After all, our old houses worked equally well without a false ceiling. Below you find good reasons for installing a false ceiling.
- In addition to aesthetics, false ceilings also provide purposeful features that increase their utility in more ways than one. For example, false ceilings provide good acoustics where the required sounds can be amplified and unwanted sounds can be minimized at the same time.
- In many homes, open wires can run across the ceiling for various purposes such as lighting, fit in smart home technology, channel music, and so on. Fit a false ceiling so that these wires are hidden from sight.
- If you have a ducted AC or cassette AC in your home then your house must have a false ceiling. The space between the true roof and false ceiling is used for the fitting of ducts, condensate pipes, and AC vents.
- A sufficient number of light points for the duration of the construction phase are usually integrated within the RCC roof. However, if you need more light points, it is necessary to go for a false ceiling. This allows you to change the position of the light points and fan points and even provides hidden general lighting and diffused lighting according to the decoration of the room.
- If the ceiling height is too high, the ceiling level should be lowered with a false ceiling to give the space a more proportional appearance and to ensure optimum cooling by AC.
- The beams are usually aligned with the interior walls of the house, but if the homeowner has shifted the position of the interior walls, the structural beams may appear in an asymmetrical position and look out of place. False ceiling installation is a great way to cover the beam and give the ceiling a seamless look.
Thus, a carefully employed false ceiling provides both useful and aesthetic features that can improve working conditions.
How is a false ceiling installed?
Few things to check before installing the false ceiling:
- The room must have sufficient height (at least 10 feet or more) to accommodate a false ceiling.
- If there is seepage in the building, it can damage the false ceiling. Therefore it is better to do some treatment and close the seepage before doing a false ceiling.
- Plan your lighting layout and wiring layout such that in some cases, it will determine the shape and design of the false ceiling, especially if you only want a partial or a border.
- If you are planning to install a rod ceiling fan, it should be installed before false sealing is manufactured, especially if you are going for gypsum or any other lightweight roof.
- If you plan to hang heavy objects such as a swing, you should install a strong hook in the roof slab before making a false ceiling so that it can hold the weight of the swing and the weight of those who are about to sit.
- The selection of the material for the ceiling is important because it depends on the location. A living room and a toilet may not have the same material because the toilet will contain moisture and not the living room. Similarly, the roof of the kitchen is also not the same as it contains heat, smoke, and moisture.
- Maintenance work should be done from time to time. When cleaning, maintaining, or renovating a roof, one needs to ensure that roof alignment is maintained.
False ceiling installation process:
- Ceiling leveling is done with water because most of the time the slab is not leveled. The ceiling needs to be on a level for the correct installation of a false ceiling.
- After the leveling process is complete, marking is done. The marking is done every 4 feet on the ceiling. Marking is also done in the side walls at the height where the false ceiling will be suspended below the original roof.
- Metal Hooks and Angle Strip is fixed to the roof. These fittings become the main support points of false sealing.
- Once the hooks were fitted, framing was started. For framing, perimeter channels are mounted on walls at a height where a false ceiling will be suspended. The perimeter channel and the free end of the hook are connected with other channels. This arrangement becomes the fixed stream of false ceilings that act as the main foundation of the false ceiling.
- To hang or support the false ceiling from the main roof, anchor fasteners are used. Anchor fasteners provide great support for the ceiling. If a suspended ceiling is trying to bend or falls if it is hung or supported on common screws.
- The sections are then fixed to the central foundation, which generates a lot of précised framing that allows it to attach to plasterboard or any other material used for false ceilings.
- Created section joints are attached using clips that offer strong and durable joints. These connecting clips also help with the easy installation of plasterboard.
- Once the framing is complete, wiring is completed for lights, fans, air conditioning, and other necessary electrical works that need to be hidden within the roof.
- The plasterboard of the required thickness is then attached to the framework with the help of drywall screws.
- Joints and edges were hidden and finished using compounding and paper tape. This not only gives the roof a clean finish but also tightens the joints. The false ceiling is given a smooth finish with skimming plaster.
- Once the finishing process is finished, the electricians are said to fit the light fittings, the final wiring, and other electrical work.
- The roof is now ready to be colored.
Advantages and disadvantages of false ceiling
Advantages of the false ceiling:
The common benefit that is used for everyone is that it enhances the aesthetic look and proportions of interior spaces, but this advantage is the tip of an iceberg because there are many advantages that false ceilings provide. Some of them are listed below:
- False ceiling materials are easy to fit and have economies related to traditional roofing systems.
- It is economical and flexible in design
- The false ceiling gives a smooth homogeneous surface and covers undulations in slab concrete etc.
- The false ceiling gives the interior spaces a clean, uniform appearance. It hides a wide variety of ineffective items very well like electrical wiring, network cables, light fixtures, ducts, and pipes for cooling and heating devices, sprinklers, and so on. You can install different types of lighting without worrying about the location of the outlet.
- For homes, it provides an additional perk of insulating rooms. The extra layer makes a distinction between itself and the original layer, which traps air and cools the room. It also optimizes the functioning of air conditioners. Because it reduces square footage to cool down and reduces energy bills.
- With a false ceiling, it becomes easy to install ambient lighting in the room. Everything from recessed lights to track lights and cove lights – can be cleverly incorporated into the ceiling. Also, with all this beautiful overhead lighting, you don’t have to think about lighting on the walls. LED lights in suspended ceilings will not only drastically reduce your power consumption, but you will also not need light on the walls.
- The hollow space behind the false ceiling provides decent sound insulation, thus reducing echoes and external noise, making the room noiseless.
- In case of repair, it is easy to rearrange the panels or repair the gypsum board.
Disadvantages of False Ceiling:
- The most worrying part of having a false ceiling will be pests. If the false ceiling is not well concealed at the edges, moisture can get inside. Such areas serve as breeding grounds for pests. They can intermittently go into space and start breeding, which can cause a lot of trouble. To avoid this, one should treatment for pests regularly.
- A false ceiling will reduce the height of the ceiling by several inches or feet and so do not install a false ceiling unless you have a good ceiling height. It should be at least 8 inches away from the original wall. Therefore, it is always recommended that the ceiling height be 10 feet or more. For compact homes, a partial ceiling in one corner of the room can do the trick.
- False ceilings require precision in design, calculation, and installation and should only be fitted by experts. If not properly executed, the surface may be uneven and after painting, finishing may not be up to the mark, and may eventually add to the costs of the project to set it correctly.
- Unlike the roofing in your home, a false ceiling needs to properly check for strength and durability before it can be hung.
- Sagging is possible in the case of false ceilings and requires maintenance.
- In the case of natural disasters, the false ceiling may be unstable.
Types of False Ceiling:
False ceilings can be classified primarily based on the type of materials used. Each material offers unique advantages and disadvantages. A mixture of materials can provide equally useful and aesthetic features.
Commonly used false ceilings depending on the material are as follows:
- Gypsum board false ceiling
- Grid false ceiling
- Plaster of Paris (POP) false ceiling
- Wooden false ceiling
- PVC false ceiling
- Fiber false ceiling
- Glass false ceiling
- Metal false ceiling
- Fabric or synthetic leather false ceiling
False ceilings can also be classified based on roof design, like single-layered false ceilings, multi-layered false ceilings, plus-minus POP false ceilings, and coffer false ceilings.
Some tips and ideas for choosing a false ceiling design:
Keep it simple:
The homeowners tend to get attracted to very fancy looking showy false ceiling in hotels, on the internet in advertisements. But there don’t appear to be long-term appeals. Yes, they look very impressive, but because you are seeing it for the first time or very rarely. Also over a while, such a ceiling will make your room and your mood more complex. It will not even feel peace in your eyes. Such a humongous detailed false ceiling is not intended for residential purposes.
The whole idea is to keep it to a minimum. Minimalist design will create openness to your room. It will be easy to clean and maintain. Besides, it will appear peaceful in your eyes and the interiors of the house.
If the height of your room is not high, then choose a false ceiling that runs along the perimeter of the walls. It will not cover too much height and will give you the option to create mood lighting which will make it more attractive and beautiful.
Try some wood:
Wood is not only for floors and walls, but wood can also add flavor to ceilings. You can display a beautiful wood in various ways. If you want an impeccable rustic look, take in natural wood or reclaimed wood. Play with levels or create a beam-grid, to add a bit to play on a plain surface.
For a crisp and contemporary look, stripes are a great choice. Stripes not only make the room look longer (when used with shorter lengths) but also focus from the air conditioning unit to the beautiful ceiling.
With such a simple ceiling, you need to balance the overall look by picking up the odd colors and materials that are right for the entire room. Consider a mixture of light and dark colors and a rough and smooth texture.
Play with the pattern:
The ceiling does not always have to be plain. Once in a while, you can play with shapes and geometry to create interesting patterns and forms. Motifs, abstracts, and even artwork on the roof can lift the living room style amount. A simple wallpaper not only adds visual depth but gives a better effect than any other white ceiling.
Some color splash:
An easy alternative to the solid color of the ceiling is to mix it with any feature color of the room. But if you want to take things to a whole new level, try installing stained or tinted glass with paneling. A pastel light is fully diffused in the back-lit glass, making the living room very enticing.
Do not let the color on the ceiling take over the overall view. Keep things light in the room with predominantly white tones or by sticking to monochromatic colors.
The ceiling of your living room can be beiges and yellow and other colors of the same to give a more royal look. Bedroom ceilings can be dark-colored – browns, greens, purples, and graces. The ceiling can also have a certain texture – they can have a wood finish to add a rustic appeal, or they can have a metallic touch to go ultra-modern.
Light it up:
One of the main functions of installing a false ceiling is to provide good lighting in the spaces. Energy-saving and attractive LED lighting is a trend that matches the concept of suspended ceilings.
Small and multiple LED lights that beautify the perimeter of the roof are a good idea. You can also opt for a grand chandelier in the center of the roof of your attractive living room.
The dining space will be well known with some hanging lamps and beautifully-designed lanterns. Another great option would be the use of a skylight in your false ceiling – it provides the benefit of daylight with the addition of a mesmerizing touch.
Here are some of the Light fixture for your False ceiling on amazon:
Bestsellers in Chandeliers in India
Bestsellers in Chandeliers in the United State
False ceiling Price:
Factors Determining False ceiling Price:
- False ceiling design, and how elaborate and decorative it is.
- Availability and pricing of roofing material in the local market/city.
- Quality of material used.
- Total area to be covered. Larger areas have lower rates per square foot because the material can be ordered in bulk.
- Additional costs such as electrical work, gala cutting, light fixtures, and surface finishes.
- If you choose to add plywood the cost will vary depending on the type of plywood, the type of laminate or veneer used to finish the surface, and the complexity of the design.
- If you choose to insert a glass then the cost has to take into consideration the size and brand of the glass used and the glass used.
Considering all these factors, the approximate price for Gypsum Board / POP is Rs. 50-150 per sq. ft., a wooden false ceiling of Rs. 150-1000 per sq. ft., acrylic or fiber roof is Rs. 130 – 1000 sq. ft.
How long do they last?
These false roofs that are designed with high-quality POP and gypsum and will last more than 20 years under normal conditions.
Can we remove the false ceiling?
Suspended ceilings can be easily removed since they were first fitted. The ceiling panels simply have to be a way to reveal the grid that holds the false ceiling in place. It can now be disconnected and the false roof removed from the original roof.
What maintenance is required for a false ceiling?
False roofing usually does not require heavy maintenance. Regular cleaning of the roof with a sponge will do just that. But if you are whitening the false ceiling, you may have to wash it very often. There will come a time when it may look dull and you may have to repaint it.
A false ceiling is the best way to play with the design and aesthetics of a room and Gives many Functions. Please share in the comments below.